SharePoint patching is always tricky. Difficult to test, difficult to roll back in case of issues, you name it. And every SharePoint pro has the own way to do patching which has been proved reliable and efficient. But now we can rely not only on our own experience and blogs like this one. We have a source of sacred knowledge, passed down from Microsoft itself. Common, grab it faster from Technet Gallery: SharePoint Build to Build Update Playbook
If you are still reading, here is my opinion on this playbook:
- Having any playbook is much better than having no playbook at all. So this will definitely help you if you don’t have a formal approach to updating SharePoint.
- Since every SharePoint deployment is unique, there is no “one size fits all” approach. This playbook requires some adaptation for your customers’ SharePoint deployment. Worth mentioning that the playbook is not version-specific. Some tasks are not applicable for SharePoint 2010, like the one related to distributed cache.
- I would say that many of the tasks mentioned in the playbook can be and should be scripted. For instance, preparation steps like testing content DBs or verifying that there is no verbose logging enabled can be scripted easily.
Happy patching, folks!
Sometimes we just need to do something dumb. For instance, recently I have changed default DNS settings of network adapter on client OS (Windows Server 2016) side of my Azure VM. Next moment, the RDP connection has failed and I couldn’t reconnect again.
The first idea was to replace NIC to another one, which should be recognized by client OS as a new one with default “auto” DNS settings. Well, actually the first idea was to reboot the VM, but it didn’t help.
So let’s see how to replace an existing NIC on Azure VM.
You are trying to create a new managed account and what you get is either:
- New-SPManagedAccount : Some or all identity references could not be translated error when you try to do it with
New-SPManagedAccount PowerShell cmdlet
- The specified user <AccountName> could not be found. Some or all identity references could not be translated when you try to do it in Central Administration GUI
What to check to pinpoint the issue
- If the account name you are adding as managed is longer than 20 symbols
The reason why it doesn’t work
In this post I describe the case when an account has a name longer than 20 symbols (however, there might be other reasons for that error, such as deleted AD account). This easily can happen if you use descriptive account names, ruled by naming conventions or common sense.
Keep reading if you want to know what’s going on here or skip description right to the solutions part.
Every SharePoint admin have heard or read at least once that it is a bad practice to assign unique permissions to individual items in SharePoint. Yes, it is not good for content manageability, but why else it can be bad?
As the title says it harms performance of your SharePoint. So if you have performance issues keep reading to know if it is related to permissions.
- Emails sent to SharePoint library address don’t reach destination.
- No error message returns to sender
What to check to identify the issue
- Incoming email “Drop” folder on SharePoint WFE – all missing emails should be there, awaiting to be picked up by SharePoint
- ULS logs has the following error with “E-mail” category:
The Incoming E-Mail service has completed a batch. The elapsed time was 00:00:00.0156241. The service processed 4 message(s) in total. Errors occurred processing 4 message(s): Message ID: Message ID: Message ID: Message ID:
It was hard to find it because of misleading info, so I post it here.
Update: the issue was fixed in May 2015 CU. Keep reading if you cannot install this CU, need temporary workaround or you are just naturally curious.
Microsoft did it, finally!
They have updated their MCP site which had deisgn came from XX century. Or XIX, maybe…
Now it got the brand-new Metro style design and looks modern. At last!
Today I’ve updated my home PC to Windows 8.1. Windows setup gave me option to update saving all my software, documents and so on, so I took the easiest way.
Never expected trouble here, but after several reboots (OMG, here is the Start button! How to remove it again?!) I found that some shortcuts on my desktop lost their icons. Moreover, I couldn’t launch them! Actually, I couldn’t launch any program installed on my secondary disk drive. And my multimedia library located there is not accessible too! What’s going on?!!
All right, first of all I’ve checked NTFS permissions: my own user had retained all permissions, it’s still owner of all files and a member of Administrators group. Just in case, I’ve added CREATOR-OWNER user to ACL of the drive’s root, but it didn’t help. Also I’ve set the owner of the drive’s root to Administrators group (It was set to System and I wasn’t sure this is correct), but nothing helped. So what is the problem?
After some research I found the cause: this was the data deduplication which I enabled on my secondary drive couple of months ago! Unfortunately, I’ve lost link to the forum which helped me to identify this issue…
So the solution was to re-enable data deduplication feature (which is normally not available on the desktop Windows). You can easily find detailed instructions how to do this over the Internet (I used this post, thanks to weikingteh for this).
I hope this will help someone.
All right, here it is! The first post.
Actually, I’m a newbie in blogging and I’m not sure what the real first post will be about and even when it will be published.
For now, there is only one page and it’s not about SharePoint. It’s about me and this blog.